Exeter College (part of the University of Oxford) proposes to appoint a Career Development Fellow in English Literature, 1760–1830 (the ‘Gwenyth Emily Rankin Fellowship’). The position, which is strictly temporary, will be tenable for a period of three years from 1 September 2023 (or as soon as possible thereafter).
The main duties of the post are to:
- undertake 144 weighted hours of tutorial or class teaching across the 24 teaching weeks of the academic year (i.e. an average of 6 weighted hours per week);
- set and mark College examinations;
- participate in the undergraduate admissions process;
- participate in the governance of the College (including discharging the functions of a Trustee);
- participate fully in the running of English and its joint schools within College; and
- engage in advanced study and research.
The area of specialization for this post is Literature in English 1760-1830. The ability to teach additional periods of Literature in English would be an advantage.
The successful candidate will have:
- a research record of international standing, appropriate to the stage of the candidate’s career, with evidence of (or potential for producing) research of international standing in English Literature;
- the proven ability, or the potential, to provide excellent tutorial and small group teaching in a range of undergraduate topics;
- the ability to undertake College administration and duties, and to co-operate in the running of English Language & Literature in the College, and in College affairs more generally;
- hold, or be close to completion of, a PhD/ DPhil in English Literature. [Candidates must, by the closing date for applications, have completed no more than 7 years of full-time research since starting their doctorate, and have submitted their doctoral thesis for examination.]
The successful candidate will become a member of the Governing Body, and therefore a Trustee, at Exeter College.
The salary will be within a range £35,308 – £43,155 per annum. In addition, a range of other generous benefits are available, as set out in the Further Particulars.
How to Apply
For more information, including details of how to apply, please download a copy of the Further Particulars.
Candidates are encouraged to submit all application materials by email, to the HR Manager at email@example.com. If possible, applications should be submitted as a single PDF file.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 12pm noon (BST) on Tuesday 6 June 2023.
Exeter College is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity.