Exeter College Choir releases Christmas CD
Exeter College Choir is pleased to announce the release of its newest CD for the Christmas season, entitled Masters in this Hall: Carols Ancient and Modern.
The collection features favourite carols, motets, and anthems from seven centuries, alongside little-known gems that have never before been released on CD.
The title is after the newest carol on the disc, a setting of Exeter College alumnus William Morris’s poem “Masters in this Hall”, in a new musical setting by composer Caitlin Harrison, commissioned by the Choir.
The conductor is Christopher Holman and the organist is Miles Swinden.
Contents, with world premiere recordings starred:
A Sweet And Goodly May
1. O come, all ye faithful — Trad., arr. David Willcocks
2. There is no rose of swych vertu — Anon.
*3. The eyes of all wait upon thee — Jean Berger
4. A Hymn to the Virgin — Benjamin Britten
*5. Magnificat in F major — Samuel Coleridge-Taylor
6. Ave Maria — Nathaniel Dett
7. E’en so, Lord Jesus, quickly come — Paul Manz
*8. Lo! he comes with clouds descending — Trad., arr. Christopher Holman
Born Is God’s Son So Dear
9. I sing the Birth — Hubert Parry
*10. Sleep, baby, sleep — Elizabeth Stirling
11. God rest ye merry, gentlemen — Trad.
12. Hark! the herald angels sing — Felix Mendelssohn, arr. David Willcocks
13. The Lamb — John Tavener
14. Joy to the world — George Frideric Handel
Christmas Is Come In
15. A Solemn Prayer — Herbert Brewer
*16. Good news on Christmas morning — Elizabeth Stirling
*17. Nunc dimittis in F major — Samuel Coleridge-Taylor
18. In the bleak mid-winter — Harold Darke
*19. Masters in this hall — Caitlin Harrison