Exeter College Choir to release Christmas CD
Exeter College Choir is pleased to announce the upcoming release of its newest CD for the Christmas season, entitled Masters in this Hall: Carols Ancient and Modern.
The collection features favourite carols, motets, and anthems from seven centuries, alongside little-known gems that have never before been released on CD.
The title is after the newest carol on the disc, a setting of Exeter College alumnus William Morris’s poem “Masters in this Hall”, in a new musical setting by composer Caitlin Harrison, commissioned by the Choir.
The conductor is Christopher Holman and the organist is Miles Swinden.
You can pre-order copies of the CD from the Choir website, here. It is anticipated that stock will be available for dispatch at the start of December.
Contents, with world premiere recordings starred:
A Sweet And Goodly May
1. O come, all ye faithful — Trad., arr. David Willcocks
2. There is no rose of swych vertu — Anon.
*3. The eyes of all wait upon thee — Jean Berger
4. A Hymn to the Virgin — Benjamin Britten
*5. Magnificat in F major — Samuel Coleridge-Taylor
6. Ave Maria — Nathaniel Dett
7. E’en so, Lord Jesus, quickly come — Paul Manz
*8. Lo! he comes with clouds descending — Trad., arr. Christopher Holman
Born Is God’s Son So Dear
9. I sing the Birth — Hubert Parry
*10. Sleep, baby, sleep — Elizabeth Stirling
11. God rest ye merry, gentlemen — Trad.
12. Hark! the herald angels sing — Felix Mendelssohn, arr. David Willcocks
13. The Lamb — John Tavener
14. Joy to the world — George Frideric Handel
Christmas Is Come In
15. A Solemn Prayer — Herbert Brewer
*16. Good news on Christmas morning — Elizabeth Stirling
*17. Nunc dimittis in F major — Samuel Coleridge-Taylor
18. In the bleak mid-winter — Harold Darke
*19. Masters in this hall — Caitlin Harrison