Skip to main content

Academic Support

Sources of Academic Support and Guidance in College

Academic Writing support (for undergraduates and postgraduates)

Improve your academic writing with RLF Writing Fellow Amanda Smyth 

What you can expect:

  • A 50-minute one-to-one to drill down your writing
  • Advice on any issues specific to you
  • Complete confidentiality

What your session might cover:

  • Organising research notes
  • Structure and punctuation
  • Rewriting and editing
  • Writing with clarity
  • Critical thinking
  • Planning and time management

Simply send me a message at 

Amanda Smyth (www. is Irish Trinidadian, and author of three novels, Black Rock, A Kind of Eden, and Fortune, published by Peepal Tree Press.


Every student is likely to find some aspect of their academic work difficult during their time at Exeter.

If you have academic or personal issues that you would like to discuss with someone, the first point of contact is normally your tutor.  There are also other sources of support:

The Undergraduate Adviser Panel is a panel of Teaching Fellows of the college, who are available for undergraduates from any subject to consult. These Advisers can listen to you and discuss academic or personal matters with you. In certain circumstances, particularly if there are reports that you are struggling with your academic work, the Senior Tutor or the college’s Cases Committee may require that you see an Adviser.

The panel of Undergraduate Advisers for 2023–24 are:


College Adviser

All graduates at Exeter are assigned a College Adviser, who is usually a Fellow of the college.

Your College Adviser can:

  • Provide pastoral support on matters such as health, personal or coping issues, and/or direct you to appropriate persons for assistance;
  • Monitor your progress by discussing your University supervision reports with you and by being available for consultation, either in person or by email;
  • Discuss with you any problems or difficulties you may be experiencing in your Department or Faculty, and/or with your supervisor;
  • Consult the Senior Tutor if there are concerns about your academic progress and if you appear to be experiencing difficulties with your academic work;
  • Offer guidance on sources of support available within the college and University.
  • Offer to take you to lunch.

In addition, your College Adviser may be able to offer you advice on academic-related matters such as: applications for research funding, conferences and seminar attendance, publication and career plans.

Your College Adviser is not expected to perform the role of your Department or Faculty Supervisor(s), and is not responsible for directing your academic work or for giving detailed academic guidance.

You will first meet your College Adviser during your first term, and you are encouraged to contact your College Adviser as and when you need advice or help. If you have not heard from your College Adviser before Week 4 of Michaelmas Term, please feel free to contact your Adviser and ask if they are free to meet you informally.

Your College Adviser may be changed during periods of sabbatical or other academic leave. Should there be reasons for you to seek a change of Adviser, you should contact the Senior Tutor.

Tutor for Graduates (the Senior Tutor)

The Senior Tutor, Dr Chris Ballinger, is the college’s Tutor for Graduates, and has overall responsibility for the academic and welfare support provided by the college for graduates.  The Senior Tutor can be contacted, and an appointment made if necessary, by emailing