The current library was built in 1857, and includes 50,000 volumes on open access and a further 30,000 volumes in its special collections.
The books on the open shelves are there to support all of the undergraduate courses taught at Exeter.
New books are acquired constantly – click here to see the latest acquisitions.
Students are also encouraged to suggest books for purchase. Click here to suggest a book.
Suggestions about the Library and its services are also welcomed. To make a suggestion please email email@example.com.
Who can use the library?
The Library is open only to current members of Exeter College. Students need their university Bod card to enter and to borrow books on the Library’s self-issue system.
External visitors, including readers who wish to consult material from the special collections, are admitted by appointment only.
All requests for appointments should be addressed to the Librarian.
Library opening hours
The Library is open 24 hours every day throughout the year except for a closed period over the Christmas vacation and is staffed from 8.30-16.00 Monday – Friday.
Readers can access Exeter’s library catalogue on SOLO, the joint catalogue of all of the University’s libraries.
Up to 20 books can be on loan at any time, with up to 5 renewals per book allowed. Books may be borrowed by undergraduates for 14 days, and for one term by graduates. Undergraduates and graduates can borrow books for the entire period of vacations.
Fines are levied for late returns of items.
Books confined to the library may not be borrowed.
Computers in the library
Wi-fi and laptop points are available throughout. There are also 4 PC terminals in the library.
There is a photocopier in the library. Copies may be purchased using your Bod Card.
Library regulations help to make it a safe and friendly place to work, so please note:
- Books must not be removed from the library without being checked out.
- Food and drink must not be brought into the Library. Only still bottled water in a sealed bottle is permitted.
- Desk spaces may not be reserved and desks will be cleared every morning.
- Library borrowing procedures must be adhered to.
- Please show respect for your peers by keeping noise to a minimum in the library and by switching off your mobile phone.
- The Library is for use by current members of Exeter only. You must not let non-members accompany you into the Library, or borrow books for non-members.
To contact the Library email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01865 279657.