Skip to main content

Health and Welfare

The health and welfare of its students is important to Exeter College. College staff can help with problems or issues a student might have, and students have access to the University of Oxford counselling and disability services.

Asking for help is one of the biggest hurdles in tackling whatever problem or issue you might have, so please don’t be surprised if you find it difficult to ask for support. This page shows suggestions for people you can go to as a first point of contact. Please note that you can generally go and see any of the contacts listed below in the first instance, and they can help point you in the right direction.


For help with student finances, and if you are having issues paying fees and battels, please email the College Accountant. In addition, the Academic Registrar Josie Cobb can be contacted for help with student finance, financial hardship and financial support. For more information about financial support and grants in general, please see our financial support page.


“Building stronger, wider social connections can help us feel happier and more secure, and give us a greater sense of purpose.”

NHS 2019

For lots of people, university is the first time they are away from home and their family for a significant period. That can be exciting; you can experience all sorts of freedoms that might not have been available to you before now. Some people have trouble in adjusting regardless of the actual physical distance involved.
Like all types of change, there are upsides and downsides, and people respond to these in a range of ways. Your body and your mind are getting used to a new way of getting along and it’s natural to not always find that process easy.

Support is available if you’re experiencing homesickness, need help raising issues with the College or are just feeling down. You can try reaching out to others – friends are a good place to start and may be experiencing similar issues. Other sources of support are the JCR welfare reps, JCR peer supporters, MCR welfare reps, Junior Deans (from 18:00-08:00)Welfare Officer, College Nurse, and Chaplain.

For information and contact details of the JCR welfare reps and Peer Supporters please visit the relevant page on the JCR website; for MCR welfare reps, please see the relevant page on the MCR website. For general issues, the Welfare Dean is also available to help.

In addition, for support with disabilities, or for help with factors that may affect your work or academic performance please contact the Academic Registrar, Josie Cobb.

Peer Supporters

Peer Supporters are trained by the University Counselling Service as an impartial ear for anyone in college to talk to about absolutely anything.

Peer support offers an easily accessible and relatively informal opportunity to talk through issues which may be concerning you. Often it can help simply to get things off your chest or to know that someone is genuinely willing to listen and take time to understand what’s on your mind. Sometimes just talking things through is enough; sometimes it may lead you to seek more professional help.

It is important to emphasise that peer supporters are not counsellors and they may encourage you to seek more formal support through college welfare, your GP or the University Counselling Service.


You can also access forms for registering a disability or applying for disability related support via the University’s Disability Advisory Service. For further support, please contact the Academic Registrar and Disability Coordinator, Josie Cobb. If you’re not sure if you should be registered then, please contact the Disability Advisory Service.


For support dealing with break-ups, long distance relationships and questions about sexuality and identity you can contact either the JCR welfare reps, Peer Supporters, LGBTQ+ reps, the Junior Deans or the Chaplain.

For advice concerning sexual health, please contact the College Nurse.


For harassment issues, whether they take the form of infringement of freedom; being placed under undue pressure; or experiencing verbal or physical abuse, you can contact the Harassment Officers. These are:


If you are experiencing problems with work or study skills, or need help with internship applications or scholarships, your tutor is the first point of contact. You may also want to talk to subject family reps, or a member of the Undergraduate Adviser Panel. More information about the academic support offered at Exeter College is available here.

Undergraduate Adviser Panel

The Undergraduate Adviser Panel is a panel of Teaching Fellows of the college, who are available for undergraduates from any subject to consult.  These Advisers can listen to you and discuss academic or personal matters with you. The panel consists of:

Exam Regulations and Disability Requirements

For help with exam regulations and disability requirements, you should contact the Academic Registrar, Josie Cobb, via email or call 01865 279660.


Looking after yourself

At Exeter College, we believe that investing time to care for yourself is hugely important in keeping your mind and body well.  Take a look at the NHS link below to help you stay healthy: – covers many topics including healthy eating, alcohol consumption, mood and sexual health. – this is on the GP website and has many useful links to a whole range of health concerns.

Students confined to their rooms by illness must ensure that a message to that effect is conveyed as soon as possible to the Lodge and/ or College Nurse so that care can be given if necessary. Meals can be supplied in rooms in college if needed but it is advisable to keep some long-life food in your room such as pasta pots and porridge if there is a gap organising food

Medical Emergencies

Call 999 for life threatening emergencies

Call 111 for urgent health concerns that cannot with until your GP is open ie in the evenings and weekend.

If an ambulance is coming please inform the lodge, so they can direct them to the casualty.

There are defibrillators (AED) at Turl Street Lodge, Cohen Quad front desk and Iffley Road Lodge.

Emergencies requiring First Aid should be notified as soon as possible to the Lodge or to the appropriate Hostel Warden. Emergency Medical boxes are kept at College in the Lodge, the Kitchen and the Academic Office, and at Exeter House and Stapledon House. In medical emergencies when First Aid is not adequate arrangements will be made by the Duty Porter to transport the patient to hospital.


If you have a known food allergy, please check on the menus for allergens or ask the catering staff if you’re not sure.

Please remember to carry your adrenalin auto injector with you if you’re prescribed one.

Urgent Care Out of Hours

If you are feeling unwell when the GP is closed, but it is not an emergency, please dial 111 or visit for more advice.

Doctors’ Surgery (General Practitioner or GP)

The College has a designated Doctors’ Practice (or GP Surgery) based at 19 Beaumont Street, about 10 minutes’ walk from the college’s site on Turl Street and 5 minutes’ walk from Cohen Quad. The surgery is open Monday to Friday, 08.00 to 18.30. To book an appointment, telephone 01865 240501. You are required to register with this practice for the duration of your studies. – register at

Further information about the practice, and much more information about sources of advice and support, is on its website:

Once you have registered you can apply for online access called ‘Patient Online.’ You can book and cancel appointments, order repeat prescriptions and in some cases view results.  This requires an ID check

College Nurse

The College nurse/welfare officer is currently working remotely via Teams/email or phone due to Covid restrictions

To access information about the College Nurse, view their profile here.

Please email for routine advice or to book an appointment– please put URGENT in the subject line if you need a reply asap.  If you need emergency medical help please call 999. The College Nurse service is not for emergencies.

Sexual Health

If you want advice about sexual health, please visit Here you will find a list of clinic times at Rectory Road and the Churchill Hospital.  Please contact the College Nurse if you need help or more information.  They are limiting the number of people through the service so please do check the website for more info.

Info about free condoms:

Info about free emergency contraception:


Although some Colleges do have designated dentist, you are welcome to attend Studental (at the Oxford Brookes University campus in Headington) for check-ups and more urgent work (NHS fees apply)  For appointments, telephone 01865 689 997. Further information and prices can be found online:


If you need to see a physio, you can go through your GP or privately there is a drop in clinic for students at